- 16 hrs ago World Osteoporosis Day 2019: Date, Theme And History
- 19 hrs ago Bacterial Vaginosis: Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Diagnosis, Treatment & Prevention
- 21 hrs ago So, Here Are Some Bollywood Fashion Scoops Of The Day For Outfits Inspiration
- 21 hrs ago 7 Sweet And Adorable Things Siblings Do ForEach Other While Growing Up
- Sports India Vs South Africa: Rohit Sharma slams career-defining maiden double century in Test: Twitterati hail the 'Hitman'
- News Pakistan will achieve all FATF targets in time: Shah Mehmood Qureshi
- Movies Happy Birthday Nargis Fakhri: Did You Know She Was Apprehensive About Working With Ranbir Kapoor?
- Technology Vivo V17 Pro With Dual-Selfie Camera Gets Massive Discount In India: Price And Offers
- Finance 4 High Interest Rate Fixed Deposits You Can Buy Online
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco Becomes Safer: Receives A Price Increase
- Travel 8 Amazing and Affordable Winter Vacation Destinations In India
- Education 5 Things Students Should Know About MHRD Internship Scheme
Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is the inability to keep and get a firm erection during sexual intercourse. Having erectile dysfunction (ED) from time to time isn't a problem, but if it's an ongoing problem, then it becomes a concern.
Many factors like physical and psychological issues cause erectile dysfunction. Physical causes like diabetes, obesity, heart disease etc. and psychological causes like stress, depression or other mental health conditions are some of the reasons for ED.
Fortunately, some natural remedies can improve erectile dysfunction symptoms. Read on.
L-arginine is an amino acid which improves erectile dysfunction by widening blood vessels, which improves blood flow to the penis. L-arginine makes nitric oxide which helps relax the blood vessels and improves healthy sexual functioning.
A study showed that 31% of men who took 5 grams of L-arginine per day experienced significant improvements in sexual function  .
2. Essential Oils
Essential oils like rose, sandalwood, and ylang-ylang improve blood circulation to the penis. You can either inhale the smell or you can diffuse them in the air.
3. Red Ginseng
Red ginseng is known to treat erectile dysfunction because it contains ginsenosides that have a positive effect at the cellular level to improve erection. A study showed the effectiveness of red ginseng in treating erectile dysfunction  .
Red ginseng has other benefits too; it lowers high cholesterol, improves lung function, and metabolic syndrome due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Yohimbe extract is extracted from the bark of the African Yohimbe tree which is shown to have positive effects on sexual performance  .
However, the American Urological Association does not recommend Yohimbe due to its serious side effects on health such as increased heart rate and blood pressure, tremor, and irritability.
5. Ginkgo biloba
Ginkgo biloba is a herb which increases blood flow to the penis, which could improve sexual performance in men with erectile dysfunction  .
People who are taking blood thinners or who have a bleeding disorder should consult their doctor before taking Ginkgo biloba.
6. Rhodiola rosea
Rhodiola rosea is a herb which is known to improve sexual function in men. A study showed that 26 men who were given 150 to 200 mg of this herbal extract per day for three months significantly improved their erectile dysfunction  .
According to a study published in the International journal of impotence research, 21% of erectile dysfunction patients who received acupuncture had improved erections  .
Ashwagandha is a medicinal plant that is being used in Ayurvedic medicine for over 3000 years. It is widely claimed for its rejuvenating, sedative, aphrodisiac, and life-prolonging properties.
One of the properties of ashwagandha is it is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction  .
Note: Speak to your doctor before taking these natural remedies.
-  Chen, J., Wollman, Y., Chernichovsky, T., Iaina, A., Sofer, M., & Matzkin, H. (1999). Effect of oral administration of high-dose nitric oxide donor L-arginine in men with organic erectile dysfunction: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study.BJU int,83(3), 269-73.
-  Jang, D. J., Lee, M. S., Shin, B. C., Lee, Y. C., & Ernst, E. (2008). Red ginseng for treating erectile dysfunction: a systematic review.British journal of clinical pharmacology,66(4), 444–450.
-  Guay, A. T., Spark, R. F., Jacobson, J., Murray, F. T., & Geisser, M. E. (2002). Yohimbine treatment of organic erectile dysfunction in a dose-escalation trial.International journal of impotence research,14(1), 25.
-  Sohn, M., & Sikora, R. (1991). Ginkgo biloba extract in the therapy of erectile dysfunction.Journal of Sex Education and Therapy,17(1), 53-61.
-  Brown, R. P., Gerbarg, P. L., & Ramazanov, Z. (2002). Rhodiola rosea.A phytomedicinal overview. HerbalGram,56, 40-52.
-  Engelhardt, P. F., Daha, L. K., Zils, T., Simak, R., König, K., & Pflüger, H. (2003). Acupuncture in the treatment of psychogenic erectile dysfunction: first results of a prospective randomized placebo-controlled study.International journal of impotence research,15(5), 343.
-  Mamidi, P., & Thakar, A. B. (2011). Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal. Linn.) in the management of psychogenic erectile dysfunction.Ayu,32(3), 322–328.